Friday, 23 May 2008

veg. model of disturbance made into audio

I made a simple vegetation model with stochastic disturbances awhile ago. I then turned the inverse of tree size into frequency and set the time step of music to be the time step of the model.

Just thought you all might find it mildly amusing to listen to after the workshop. You can hear the young trees (lower tones) grow and then as disturbance hits the forest begins to make a series of different tones, representing different tree sizes.

I have also attached two images of my simple disturbance model. It is truly spatial and not a patch model. It also has a nice graphic display.

The white circle is a random walk through the forest, in which the local trees act as audio sources (oscillators based on tree age) and this creates an audio soundscape.

Mike Palace



1 comment:

Josh Fisher said...

Interesting take on perceiving math. I wonder if we can gain any useful or different insights from hearing rather than visualizing a mathematical model.