Sunday, 25 May 2008

Peru: plots at the tree-line and the house

Hi all,

I have a question about sampling at the tree line. I intend, as I think do the ant people, to sample at the tree line on the Trocha Union. Since there is no permanent plot here, and I am likely to want to re-visit, should we attempt to establish some sort of 'plot'? If so does anyone have suggestions for a design that would be helpful? For this purpose I notice there are some aluminium tree tags in the house, on top of Dunia and Miles' boxes of equipment. Could someone find out if they would mind if we took c. 50 of these tags?

Also Yadvinder, with regards to the house. It is generally in good order. There is a lack of cutlery, so tomorrow I will try to buy some to leave here. I might also suggest that the first bedroom at the top of the stairs might need real curtains, as the people using the metal stairs outside the window (from 6am!) can see in (ie. they can see me sleeping!).

Hope all is well, and congratulations Luiz!

Steven

2 comments:

Steven H said...

The tree tags problem has been solved.

wrt the area to sample Josh Rapp suggested using an area a short distance from the house at Tres Cruces, but i was considering a point where the Trocha hits the tree line.Any ideas which would be better?

Also would a thin line (transect) be preferable to a square plot?

Yadvinder Malhi said...

Hi Steven

I know Miles is setting up scores of small plots (via his students) all over the place, including the tree line. He has left for Peru and is probably already in Cuzco with his family). You should email him and/or catch him in Cuzco. It makes sense to work in the same plots as his team will set up. Or his team can do the grunt work on plots that you demarcate. Let me know if you have travel finding him.

Send us a pic or two!