Tuesday, 22 July 2008

Alo from Amazonia


Hi All,
After driving 1400km in MAto Grosso State, I am now in Ji-Paraná, Rondônia, Brasil.
The first part of the trip was really great. I went to Alta Floresta, northern of the State to work with people from an NGO called ICV, that I believe are the ones pioneers in implementing REDD policies as a study case in real in a region. I gave a talk there, and discussing our data, I guess I found out that they will be soon somehow involved with the RAINFOR network, as they will help to set the plot in the Cristalino area.
Driving around was really exciting, new deforestation hotspots, abandoned areas with capoeira and juquira (2 phases in the regrowth process), broken bridges, trucks carrying lots of woods, pastures and happy cows, soybean, corn and cotton fields….
Yesterday I arrived in Ji-Parana, and today I was working in the UNIR (State University of Rondonia), whereI meet some students and finish organizing my next trip – starting tomorrow!
I will try to update some photos now,
Hope you all are well,
Beijos
Liana

No comments: